So these past six weeks, I have been really struggling with nursing. Not that it has been difficult, or that Lincoln doesn't like it, but I am not making enough milk for him. When he was born, he was immediately admitted to the NICU, so I didn't get a chance to try to breastfeed. I had to immediately start pumping. Of course for the first few days it was just the colostrum. I was then supposed to start getting my milk in, but I feel like I am still waiting and it feels like it is just impossible. I was, and still am, only getting about 2 ounces (if that) when I pump. When I left the hospital I started taking Fenugreek, and Blessed Thistle, which are herbal supplements that are supposed to increase milk production. Neither have really worked. I went into my doctor the other day and he prescribed me Reglan, which is also supposed to help. It is supposed to empty the stomach, and I have no idea how that is supposed to help with milk production... but the side effects are horrible. I am beyond tired, drowsy, my muscles are so tight and hurt really bad, my body is so stiff, and I have bad head aches. It is not fun. I have to take 4 pills a day for 2 weeks, then 3 per day for 2 weeks, 2 per day for 2 weeks, 1 per day for 2 weeks. I don't know if I can do it. I called my doctor's office today and told them the side effects I am having and they told me to stop taking the medication.
I have tried everything they have told me to do but nothing has worked so far. I have been so tempted to just give up and just give him strictly formula. He drinks mostly formula anyways since I hardly make any milk, and I kind of feel like I am letting my baby down. Does it make me selfish to want to just give up now because it's more convenient? Ugh... this whole thing has been really tough on me. I think I am going to just pump a few times a day for the next month or so and just give him what I make, then switch to all formula. I know breast milk is obviously best for him, and I really wish it were different. Any thoughts?
If anyone has any advice, I gladly welcome it.
Hey girly.
ReplyDeleteI was totally in the same boat. Hunter was taken to the NICU right away and for the first day he was only given sugar water since his blood sugar was so low. I too struggled with supplying milk especially when he was on a feeding tube and I wasnt breast feeding. after he was sent home we was on the oxygen tank and that made breastfeeding difficult also. Hunter had problems latching and really didnt show interest in breastfeeding so I have continued to pump and give it to him in a bottle. He is getting about 100ml from me and the rest (about 60ml of formula per feeding) each feeding. The best advice I can give is drink lots and lots and LOTS of water. Get rest whenever you can, eat right and pump like mad. Even if you pump for 10 minutes and the milk stops.. pump a little longer. my milk comes in aboit 10 minutes but i ALWAYS pump for about 13-15. Thats what the lactation specialist told me in the hospital. What kind of pump are you using also?
Don't give up. It is definitely stressful but any breast milk he can get is better than none :)
Hang in there mamma! You are doing great!
Abbey Jo. I'm sad that you're feeling so bad about this. I know it's difficult but honestly, as long as he's getting nourishment and is growing well, i don't think it matters if it's breast milk or formula that you're giving him. You have put for a huge amount of effort to nurse and figure out a way to make it happen but it's just not working. That happens. Don't feel down about it. If he takes formula without a problem, go for it. At least there are other options out there, take advantage and focus on that! He'll still be just as smart and handsome as the breast fed ones. ;) hahaha. I'm so funny, I know. But seriously, you're amazing and Lincoln thinks so too.
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean. Are you only pumping 2oz every two hours? or 2 oz a day? I make about an ounce an hour. I still have to give her about a bottle of formula a day. I have had problems breast feeding (mostly pain from what I think is 6 weeks of thrush, but a little production too) and there are just some nights I break down and want to give up. No one tells you how emotionally stressful breastfeeding is when it isn't going perfect. You feel like your body is broken, and you have all these other side effects. "They" say your body will produce what they baby needs. I don't particularly believe that. I have one side that produces half an ounce. Maybe. No matter how long I put Ruby on that side, or how long I pump. It happens. Pump what you can, breast feed what you can, even if its just to soothe him, and maybe it will help. If not, there is nothing wrong with formula. There are also groups that can help you. See if there is a Le Leche League near you. If you need a little support, email me. Because I am so struggling with breast feeding too! You're doing wonderful. I can't believe How strong you are. It's easy to see where Lincoln gets it!
ReplyDelete