Tuesday, September 6, 2016

From IVF to TWINS!

My last post talked about our failed 4th IUI attempt. After that, we pretty much jumped right into IVF so I'm just going to go through our IVF process for those of you who are curious happens and how it works.
May was pretty uneventful, as I was just put on birth control for about 3 weeks. That is step 1.
The reasons for putting you on birth control prior to a stimulation cycle is that it can help the ovaries respond better to the stimulation medication. Secondly, it allows flexibility in coordinating your cycle, so that procedures can be planned around your work schedule, trips, and when all the necessary professionals are available. It also helps prevent cysts from forming, which can interfere with a cycle.

Step 2 is the follicle stimulating hormones. In a normal ovulation cycle, one egg matures per month. In an IVF cycle, the goal is to have several eggs mature as this will increase your chances of success.
I starting taking Gonal- F and Menopur injections on May 30th. Both of those were done once a day for 9 days. Those are both used to stimulate your ovaries.  I didn't have many side affects from those, but the Gonal-F burned really bad when it was injected. I found that icing my belly before hand helped a little bit, but not much. I usually bled a little each time I did an injection, and after a few days had some bruising, but those were the worst of my symptoms so I can't complain too much!
During this time, I went into the office several times to be observed and to test all my hormone levels and do ultrasounds to make sure that the medications were working properly.
After about 4 days of taking two injections daily, I went up to 3 a day. They added a medication called Ganirilex that prevents you from ovulating. I took all three for another 5 days. That one didn't hurt much and didn't burn. They also had me on some other minor medications during this time, like prenatal vitamins and baby Aspirin.

Step 3 is the trigger shot and egg retrieval. On June 7th, they did an ultrasound and found 13 mature follicles ready to go! That's where the Ganirilex came into play, with how many mature follicles I had, they had to make sure I didn't ovulate on my own. They had me do the trigger shot, which was called Pregnyl. This shot provides final maturation for the follicles and sets ovulation in motion.
Approximately 36 hours after the trigger shot is administered, you go in to have your egg retrieval. June 9th was the day of my egg retrieval. Once I arrived, Trevor went in and provided the sample (thanks Trev!) and they took me back to get the sedation through an IV started. Once I was out, a needle is inserted through the top of the vagina under ultrasound guidance to get to the ovary and follicles. They then suck them out and the whole procedure takes about 10 minutes. Recovery was fairly easy, just some cramping after.
Once they had all 13 follicles, they were put into a dish with the sperm to do their thing! They then put them in a special incubator and leave them alone. They called the next day with an update. I had 11 of the 13 fertilized! They then kept them in the incubator for another 4 days and called each day with updates. On day 5, June 14th, we did the embryo transfer. Once we arrived, they had me take a muscle relaxer to keep my uterus from spasming during the procedure. Our doctor then showed us that we had 5 perfect embryos ready for transfer. We discussed, and knew that we needed to put two in. Through ultrasound guidance again, we got to watch as they put our two little embryos in. It was very cool. Then I had to take some other medications at home for several weeks after and had to just wait!
The trigger shot generally takes about 14 days to get out of your system, so if you take a pregnancy test before then it will show up positive and get your hopes up. I knew from previous experience mine was out at 11 days after. I took a pregnancy test around day 12 and it was negative, so I knew the shot was out of my system. Then two days later I took another one and it was POSITIVE. Then I took several more and all were positive. I couldn't believe it! I didn't get too excited because I didn't want to get my hopes up, just in case. I had an appointment on Thursday June 24th and they confirmed that I was in fact pregnant. They tested my HCG levels as well, and they were very high so my doctor expressed concern that it might be a multiple pregnancy. At that ultrasound (I went in a day early cause I was really in pain) I found out that I was also suffering with Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome, and that was the WORST part of this whole process. My belly was so swollen because my ovaries were so huge, and I just had to suffer through it for several weeks. I drank a lot of Gatorade and ate salty foods, as they said that would help. It was miserable.
Then, Trevor and I were at Top Golf for our anniversary on July 11th, when I started bleeding. I was freaking out a bit so we went in the next day and I was told that I had a subchorionic hemorrhage (bleeding between the placenta and the uterus) and that was the reason for my bleeding. They then told us we were having twins as well! It was so exciting and yet so scary. They reassured me that the hemorrhage would heal itself and that I just needed to be on partial bedrest, so I took it as easy as possible for the next 3 weeks. I went in once a week so they could monitor the bleeding, and by week 10 it was gone and babies were still growing perfectly. Those first two and a half months were ROUGH. On top of everything, I was so dizzy and lightheaded all the time that I just had to lay around most days. Now that I am in my second trimester I am feeling back to my normal self and feeling great. I am SO EXCITED that God has blessed with two babies. I love them so much already!
I am seeing a specialist on the 30th and I think we get to find out the genders! Woo hoo!
Hopefully all of this made sense, it's hard to remember all of the details, but thanks for sticking with it if you read this far! Thanks for all the love and support! I couldn't have made it through without it!

2 comments:

  1. Tender mercies that Heavenly Father blesses us with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Abby Jo! So exciting!! 💙💙💙

    ReplyDelete